1 conforming to truth; "I wouldn't have told you this if it weren't so"; "a truthful statement" [syn: so(p), truthful]
2 marked by system; in good order; "everything is in order"; "his books are always just so"; "things must be exactly so" [syn: in order(p), so(p)] n : the syllable naming the fifth (dominant) note of any musical scale in solmization [syn: sol, soh] adv
1 to a very great extent or degree; "the idea is so obvious"; "never been so happy"; "I love you so"; "my head aches so!"
2 in order that; "he stooped down so he could pick up his hat"
3 in such a condition or manner, especially as expressed or implied; "They're happy and I hope they will remain so"; "so live your life that old age will bring no regrets"
4 to a certain unspecified extent or degree; "I can only go so far with this student"; "can do only so much in a day"
5 in the same way; also; "I was offended and so was he"; "worked hard and so did she"
6 in the way indicated; "hold the brush so"; "set up the pieces thus"; (`thusly' is a nonstandard variant) [syn: thus, thusly]
7 (usually followed by `that') to an extent or degree as expressed; "he was so tired he could hardly stand"; "so dirty that it smells"
8 subsequently or soon afterward (often used as sentence connectors); "then he left"; "go left first, then right"; "first came lightning, then thunder"; "we watched the late movie and then went to bed"; "and so home and to bed" [syn: then, and so, and then]
9 in truth (often tends to intensify); "they said the car would break down and indeed it did"; "it is very cold indeed"; "was indeed grateful"; "indeed, the rain may still come"; "he did so do it!" [syn: indeed]
EtymologyFrom the swa.
- In order that
- Eat your broccoli so you can have dessert.
Usage notesWhen used as the conjunction in a conditional sentence, instead of the usual English word order in the apodosis, wh-movement is used instead. Eg:
- If he can run a marathon, so can you.
in order that
- Czech: aby
- Dutch: zodat, zodoende
- Esperanto: por ke
- French: afin que (followed by the subjunctive), pour que (followed by the subjunctive)
- German: damit
- Hungarian: hogy (followed by the imperative)
- Italian: perché (followed by the subjunctive)
- Novial: por
- Russian: чтобы
- Spanish: para que (followed by the subjunctive)
to this or that extent
in this or that manner
slang: very much
Translationstrue See true.
- An interjection used to introduce a question.
- So, what'll you have?
- So what?
- "You park your car in front of my house every morning." "So?"
Cmavoso (rafsi: soz)
EtymologyFrom the Latin sub.
Usage notesSo is very rare in modern Spanish, surviving only in certain expressions, including so pena de (on pain of, under penalty of), so pretexto de or so color de (under pretext of), a so capa (secretly, with bribery).
So is a common conjunction and adverb.
SO or S-o is a common acronym used to indicate Significant other.
SO (and variations) may refer to:
- So (kana), the romanisation of the Japanese kana そ and ソ
- Somalia, ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code
language, (ISO 639)
- .so, the top-level Internet domain of Somalia
- So people, a Mon-Khmer-speaking people of Laos and Thailand
- Sso people of Cameroon
- Special Olympics, an international organization created to help people with intellectual disabilities develop self-confidence and social skills through sports training and competition
- Sao civilisation or So, an African civilisation that flourished from ca. the 6th century to ca. 15th century
- Sales order, an order received by a business from a customer
- Sosoliso Airlines, IATA airline designator
- Superior Aviation, IATA airline designator
- Southern Company, stock ticker symbol
- Standard Oil (1870-1911), a predominant integrated oil producing, transporting, refining, and marketing company; dissolved by the US Supreme Court
- Star Ocean, a role-playing game series by Enix.
TelevisionSO - Sierra Oscar, the call sign used by police officers in ITV serial drama The Bill.
Military and police
- So (surname), a Chinese surname
- Canton of Solothurn, Switzerland
- Step Off Ministry, Christian church reaching out to Korean gangsters
Science and technology
- SO, SO alias for SOIC chip "package"
- .so, a filename extension for "shared object" dynamic library files in Unix
- Science Olympiad, a primarily American elementary, middle school, or high school team competition that requires knowledge of various science topics and engineering ability
- Service cable/cord, Oil-resistant, a type of power cord
- Shift Out, an ASCII control character in computing
- SO(4), in mathematics, the group of rotations about a fixed point in four-dimensional Euclidean space
- SO(5), in mathematics, the special orthogonal group of degree 5 over the field R of real numbers
- SO(8), in mathematics, the special orthogonal group acting on eight-dimensional Euclidean space
- SO(10) (physics), in particle physics, one of the grand unified theories (GUT) is based on the SO(10) Lie group
- Special orthogonal group, a subset of an orthogonal group
- StarOffice, a commercial package of office software produced by Sun Microsystems
- Sulfur monoxide, a compound with the chemical formula SO
so in German: SO
so in Esperanto: So
so in French: SO
so in Korean: SO
so in Italian: SO
so in Dutch: So
so in Japanese: SO
so in Portuguese: SO
so in Kölsch: SO (Watt ėßß datt?)
so in Finnish: So
so in Swedish: SO
so in Chinese: SO
a deal, a great deal, a lot, abundantly, accordingly, accurately, ad eundem, after this fashion, almighty, along these lines, as, as all creation, as all get-out, as long as, as well, at what price, awful, awfully, beaucoup, by what mode, by what name, ceteris paribus, consequently, considerable, considerably, correctly, correspondingly, either, equally, equivalently, ergo, evenly, ever so, ever so much, exceedingly, exceptionally, extremely, faultlessly, flawlessly, for, galore, greatly, hence, highly, how, identically, in consideration of, in contemplation of, in great measure, in kind, in like manner, in order to, in such wise, in that way, in this way, in what way, indifferently, just, just like that, just right, just so, largely, like, like so, like that, like this, likewise, mightily, mighty, much, muchly, never so, no end, no end of, not a little, only too, parlous, perfectly, plenty, powerful, powerfully, precisely, pretty, pretty much, properly, proportionately, quite, real, really, right, rightly, sic, similarly, so as, so as to, so long as, so that, so very much, straight, suchlike, terribly, terrifically, then, thereupon, this way, this-a-way, thus, thus and so, thus and thus, thusly, thuswise, to, to the skies, very, very much, whacking, whopping, without distinction